CST 338 Week 1 Journal

 CST 338 Week 1 Journal

Homework 2: CodingBat (String 2, Map 1, Functional 1)

    When given a prompt, I thought of what tools I had at my disposal. If nothing came up that seemed useful, then I would go over the functions and methods at my disposal. For example, with strings I would create an example string in IntelliJ. Then I would look at all of the methods I had to choose from to see if anything could be useful for solving the problem. After finding a promising method, I would search how to use it. Then I practiced using that method in IntelliJ. Once I felt that I had a good grasp on the method I would use it in solving the problem.
    Another thing I would often do is break the problem down into parts. I would solve these parts in IntelliJ using print commands to the terminal to check my progress as I created the solutions. I had to do this once I created a solution in CodingBat, but it didn't work 100%. In order to debug, I had to break the problem down and work on it part by part in IntelliJ. This worked every time and I am happy with how quickly I solved the problems. I rarely got stuck for a long period of time because I made sure to follow exactly what my code was doing. Following my code was easiest in IntelliJ.
    I did a mix of planning and throwing code at problems. If there was no apparent code that I could throw at the problem to solve it, then I would need to plan out how I would approach it. What did not work was trying to code purely in CodingBat. Once the code gets to a certain level of complexity, it is necessary to break it down into parts. Once it is broken down into parts, it is important to follow your statements step by step in IntelliJ in order to make sure each statement is working as intended. Certain problems took many tries because of everything from silly syntax mistakes to misunderstanding the problem.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CST 300 Fourth Week Journal

CST 300 Second Week Journal

CST 300 First Week Journal